The fruit of the Myristica fragrans tree produces two different essential oils. The red outer shell, when dried, becomes mace. The inner nut is nutmeg. Our nutmeg essential oil is steam-distilled from nuts grown in Indonesia.
- Botanical Name: Myristica fragrans
- Country of Origin: Indonesia
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Plant Part: Seed
- Aromatic Scent: rich, spicy, sweet, woody scent. It is like the cooking spice, but richer and more fragrant
- Blends well with: Lavender, Clary Sage, Geranium, Orange, and Black Pepper
Nutmeg is a potent warming oil, and in very small quantities can help to revitalize and warm soreness and circulation through application or massage. Aromatically, nutmeg brings warmth and a deep scent of spice. Diffuse, mix into blends, or apply in 2-5% dilution.
Nutmeg was used by the Indians for intestinal disorders, by the Egyptians in embalming and by the Italians during the Plague. In the Middle Ages nutmeg was grated and mixed with lard as an ointment for piles.
3rd Party Testing