Cymbopogon winterianus (citronella) is native to Indonesia, where it has been used in insect sprays, soaps, candles, and cleaning agents for thousands of years. It is a close relative of lemongrass and is used in local cuisines. Our citronella essential oil is steam-distilled from leaves grown in Indonesia.
- Botanical Name: Cymbopogon winterianus
- Country of Origin: Indonesia
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Plant Part: Leaves
- Aromatic Scent: Citronella Java Oil has a well-rounded lemon citrus scent, though it is much softer than actual Lemon. It also has subtle wood tones
- Blends well with: Bergamot, Orange, Cedarwood, Geranium, Lemon, Lavender, and Pine
Most people are familiar with citronella’s use in repelling insects from citronella candles. Citronella candles sometime mix in cedarwood essential oil to round out the scent of the smoke. Citronella vapors provide clarity and clear breathing. Topically, citronella is good for oily skin, or helping damaged skin to heal. Diffuse, mix with a blend, mix a few drops in a spray bottle with water and spray to exposed skin/clothing, or apply in a 2-5% dilution.
Citronella was one of the world’s dominant insect repellents before the introduction of DDT. Recent history has indicated that Citronella is once again becoming the product of choice for health-conscious customers.
3rd Party Testing